Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Editorial Project Topic

For my Unit 1 topic, I chose the subject of Universal Health Care. The Editorial that I chose is from The Daily News Online, and it is called "Universal health-care system is essential." It talks about how many Americans are uninsured and struggling to pay medical bills. It says the health-care costs are going to require a comprehensive health care reform, and that Universal Health care is the only way that it will work. I disagree with the author of this article because I think that Universal or National Health care will not solve this nation's problems for many reasons. Just a few of my reasons are that the people that make more money will be paying for everyone's health care, doctors salaries may drop, and med students may decide not to pursue being a doctor, and those with healthy habits will have to pay for those with unhealthy habits(smoking, obesity). I chose this article because Medicine is something that I am very passionate about which is the main reason that I am studying to be a nurse. I would like to say that I do believe that all people deserve access to health care, but I do not believe that Universal Health Care coverage is the way to do it.

2 comments:

Shannon S said...

Oh this was a good pick for you! I would imagine you will probably have a lot of personal feelings to put into working on this because you're going to be a nurse in just a few years!

Danielle said...

I completely agree with you that Universal Health Care is not the way to go about this growing problem but that something should still be done. I liked the part about how it would reduce the number of doctors because I never would have thought about it in that aspect.