Thursday, November 13, 2008

John Kerry's Concession Speech

Overall, I think that John Kerry's Concession Speech was very effective. He did not seem to me to be overly upset or frustrated, and I believe that his speech probably had a more positive impact on the American people than Al Gore's speech.

Throughout the speech, some of his diction choices are very interesting. For example, he says that "Today, I hope that we can begin the healing." He also refers his supporters as "brigades" and "crew mates." Healing, brigades, and crew mates are interesting words to use, and they all convey the metaphor of a war that Kerry was using to describe the election.

Throughout his speech, pathos is by far the strongest rhetorical appeal because he uses it repeatedly. For example, he states, "I wish that I could just wrap you up in my arms and embrace each and every one of you individually all across this nation. I thank you from the bottom of my heart." He also uses pathos when trying to make a connection with all the views by saying that in the election, there are no losers because in the end, we are all Americans. I am sure that both these statements evoke sympathy from the audience, regardless of whether or not they supported Kerry.

Unlike Gore, Kerry does not use any quotes except "God Bless America," but I believe that the use of some probably would have been a good idea. He also does not attempt to use much humor; the speech is very serious, emotional, and to the point.

His syntax is also very effective, and a good example of this would be his closing statement. He says, "So with a grateful heart, I leave this campaign with a prayer that has even greater meaning to me now that I have come to know our vast country so much better thanks to all of you, and what a privilege it has been to do so. That prayer is very simple: God bless America. Thank you." I think this is effective because he talks about a prayer, and I assumed it was going to be something long, but then he ends it with such a short and popular prayer and a thank you. I think that the differences in structures in these sentences is a very good way to end a speech.

No comments: